4.28.2009

Things I've Eaten While Driving

Warning: eating and driving is dangerous and not recommended by Mental Mastications or the Highway Patrol, but probably your insurance agent. But I am a trained professional, so it's okay.

Recently:
soft tacos -- from Del Taco. Casual.

burritos -- from Chipotle and Big City Burrito. Chipotle was pretty casual, though constantly having to tear off the foil wrapper grew bothersome, and it was raining enough to make the experience all the more exciting. There is nothing like racing down a wet highway at 78 miles per, a driving rain obscuring the view of the road, clutching a massive vegetarian burrito in both hands, changing lanes and steering with the knees and avoiding globs of guacamole dripping out the bottom of the tortilla. Big City, on the other hand, was a bit more difficult. Mainly due to the extreme amount of ranch dressing seeping out of the bottom of the burrito. Again, the foil was bothersome, but not hindering. Messy, but not difficult to manage. Fortunately road conditions were normal.

sandwiches -- many, of varying degrees of difficulty. While mostly casual, a few were more challenging. A sandwich from Heidi's was prone to falling apart and only the wrapper in my lap saved my clothing from chipotle-mayo exposure. Also, the pickle was quite drippy. A tuna sandwich I made myself proved to be the most aggravating, as I did not drain the tuna well enough and much tuna-juice was rained into my lap. Nevertheless, in terms of driving difficulty, casual.

yogurt + granola -- fairly casual, as yogurt is not as fluid as cereal and therefore more manageable. By using a small bowl I was able to hold it and the wheel in my left hand, with my right handling the spoon and gearshift. With this tactic I was able to keep my eyes on the road, using my peripheral vision to guide the spoon to the yogurt.

cereal -- not recommended. The possibility for total disaster loomed overhead at all times, and while I was able to avoid any milk spillage, the amount of attention diverted from the road to the bowl of Crispix was probably quite dangerous. Add in a manual transmission (which I have) and you have a lovely (and tasty) recipe for disaster. If I die in a car wreck I'd rather not be covered in a dairy product, but I do really love Crispix and wouldn't mind having that be my final meal.

pizza -- casual.

various bars -- supremely casual.

More to come. Again I must remind you, don't eat and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment